Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Speculator, you say that like it's a bad thing

I guess you would say I'm a speculator. I have some assumptions about the world and I look for pricing that differs from those assumptions. If I win, I get to keep my profits. If I lose, I don't get bailed out by anyone. (The same can't be set for some major investment banks with proprietary trading arms)

Speculators have been blamed for rises in oil prices, driving down stock prices through short-selling, market crashes, etc. The reality is that we need speculators able to act on their beliefs, to buy or to sell. Politicians often judge that one price is too high or another is too low. I think it would be foolish after what we have seen over the last couple years to say that the market always get the "right" price at every point in time. However, the alternative is the government setting prices, which I have far less confidence in than the market.

A restriction on the activity of speculators would severely reduce liquidity in markets. Information would travel slower and those with the best estimates of the future would be less able to bring a market back to equilibrium.

No comments: